Thursday 26 June 2008

HD or not HD?

My TV suddenly decided to restore colour to celebrate the second Spanish goal (tips seem to be doing quite well!). But I still need to order a new Sky Box. And today a new and very 21st century dilemma presented itself.

One of my team was extolling the virtues of HD if you want to watch sport on television. So should I make the leap? Isn't it an unnecessary carbon indulgence? Is it the sort of thing I could do and stay in the "positive green" behaviour segment? Or would I be relegated a few segments? Is it the sort of thing I could do and still champion sustainable development. And wouldn't it mean consigning my - still functioning - TV to the WEE dump five years before it's due?

What scope for offsetting? Solar thermal? Probably not worthwhile given how long my energy consumption is already? Fly less -- hard to do less than this year so far (zero) but should i abandon a theoretical flight later this year? Would an HD screen reduce social capital and be bad for my health and wellbeing -- more evenings in and fewer in the gym sneaking peaks at the TV - with colour - while on the treadmill?

Or would it be the right counter-cyclical measure -- after all there are all those Dixon employees whose jobs are at risk as the market for electrical appliances crashes? Is it my responsibility to keep the market in electrical appliances afloat and bolster retail confidence? Is that what lies behind the shopping surge in May?And the factory somewhere near Shenzhen which undoubtedly makes all HD screens? Do I have a duty to them?

Or is the worst thing to do to invest now in a new sky box -- and then change my mind in a year's time....and have a redundant box I should never have bought in the first place?

The colour has just disappeared again -- but the BBC are refusing to show the Nadal match and offering me a choice of Murray (yawn) or Keothevang ....

I think the answer is to dither and delay - what I always do when faced with any option of spending money and committing to a capital purchase... and to postpone all purchases.. and hope that today's renewable energy strategy means that by 2020 I can buy a gas guzzling TV screen with a clear conscience. In the meanwhile I can take comfort that at least in Wimbledon even Rafa has to play in white... and as long as the Spaniards win, does it really matter if my TV picture simply shows 11 Germans and a ball as the red-strip Spaniards merge into the green sward of Vienna.

No comments: