Friday 8 February 2008

Failure to connect

with many apologies for the posting gap, this is going to be a quick update... one unnerving experience which shows what an internet junkie I have become -- I managed to close down my computer too quickly, lose a screen and then in following my nephew;s excellent technical advice on how to get it back -- just press a lot of buttons - I managed to switch off my wireless connection... now restored (it turns out there is a switch on the front of the machine -- but how was I supposed to know that).  But the thought of a broadband free day was beyond tolerance.

So personal developments -- have been trying to solve the conundrum of how to attach weights to my leg to create resistance to strengthen my adductors!!  ingenious Blue Peter style solution consists of two potatoes, my mother's ex-dog's collar (dog no longer with us, lest any of you were about the report us to the RSPCA), and a plastic bag.  With all of those together we have just about created something that works.  Not quite sure its what the physio had in mind.. but he is very keen for me to cycle (on a stationary bike) and walk around in swimming pools -- so that is next week's challenge.  Am nearing the end of the injections (yippee -- but am now completely habituated and have managed to routinise so not an issue...) and managed my first big trips - to the Abbey Chichester to collect a debit card and to the movies last night where the only hazard was failing to appreciate the full implications of the bucket seat.  (For interest we saw Juno which I highly recommend though the transition of CJ from the White House to a nail technician with a passion for Weimarers is unnerving for those of us who always saw her as a role model).The big plus of being here is that I have had a lot of communication with some US friends which has finally turned out some Hillary supporters. Heated debates now being conducted on "inspiration vs substance" and fsacinatign views that the plus of Obama is his electability. Hillary seems to be beign cast as the heroine of the Betty Friedan generation -- someone your mother votes for.
  Nex posting sooner...  but need to do my Spanish homework and do some (almost) real work.  Hasta pronto.

1 comment:

ewan said...

very good to hear that you are being so speedily 'rehabiliatated' (sounds like moscow in the 1950s) and that you are adding Spanish to your other languages.

With best wishes

Ewan